Job Title: Field Research Assistant
Specific location: Shillong
Closing date of applications: 31-July-2020
Email for receiving applications: [email protected]
Understanding malaria in Meghalaya – Center for the Study of Complex Malaria in India
The CSCMI is doing epidemiological, genomics, entomological and behavioral sciences studies in Meghalaya to understand prevalence including asymptomatic carrier status. The goal is to generate evidence that will assist in the design of effective measures to reduce and ultimately eliminate malaria in Meghalaya. The study is part of the Center for the Study of Complex Malaria in India (CSCMI) funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH). The research is led by New York University in collaboration with the National Lutheran Health & Medical Board (NLHMB), the Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong (a regional public health institution), National Institute of Research in Tribal Health (NIRTH) and other partners.
Position: Field Research Assistant
- Carry out community/clinic surveys, collect and process blood samples
- Will be responsible for maintaining safety and quality standards for samples collected and for all equipment used
- Responsible for proper labelling, storage and maintenance of the blood samples collected
- Responsible for transport of samples from the PHC clinic to the Institute
- To have close coordination with the field team and lab members at the Institute
- Involvement in field work as and when necessary
- Other: Any other project or institution related activities may be assigned from time to time by the principal investigator or immediate supervisor.
- Preparation of blood smear, blood spot and venous blood collection, and haemoglobin measurement
- Perform rapid malaria detection using rapid detection test(s)
- Perform anthropometric measurements
- Processing of samples at study sites
Maintain detailed log of work and provide weekly reports.
Provide regular updates to immediate supervisor and assist in report writing if required
GNM/Bsc Nursing/Diploma/Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Technology
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of local language (Khasi/Jaintia/Garo) is an asset.
Experience: Clinical- Field/laboratory experience is an asset.
Your CV should provide the following details, in a word document, preferably in the following order:
- Full Name
- Address and contract details (including email and phone)
- Educational qualifications – Diploma/degree/s, year and institute qualified from
- Language skills (spoken, written skills)
- Software skills
- Work experience (position/job title, organization, duration) if none please state NIL
- Research experience
- Publications (if any)
- Referees (two persons who you have worked or trained under)
- Any other relevant information
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Selection and short-listing of the candidates will solely be done at the discretion of CSCMI/IIPH; we reserve the right for selection criteria and procedures.