Project title: Situational Analysis and Understanding influencing factors to address delays in cancer healthcare seeking in Meghalaya
Institute: Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong Society (IIPHS-S)
The North East Region (NER) of India has the highest incidence of cancers in the country. Delay in healthcare seeking may be one of the reasons for late detection of cancer and the low survival rate in the State. Stigma is a potential reason for this delay in healthcare seeking for cancers. The factors that influence healthcare seeking among cancer patients of this region, their understanding around cancers and the construct of their cancer-related stigma needs to be explored. This study aims to identify and understand the factors influencing implementation, quality, feasibility, and sustainability of the cancer programme in the State. Additionally, the project, will try to understand the barriers and facilitators for healthcare seeking in cancer, from the individual patient and community perspectives.
Location of Study: Meghalaya
Email for receiving applications: email@example.com
1. Position: Scientist-C (Non-Medical)
Number of positions: 1 (one)
- Overall inputs on project:
- Assist the lead investigator(s) in coordinating Qualitative data collection
- Provide ongoing support for capacity building of the project personnel in terms of study objectives, ethical aspects, study tool development, data collection, analysis, integration, reporting and formulating micro-plans.
- Provide inputs to understand the local context relevant to the project. Co-ordinate with local government personnel, health workers and village leaders
- Undertake/support qualitative data analysis and prepare timely reports and publications. v) Maintain research log of work and provide weekly/biweekly reports as required
- Provide periodic updates of progress to the lead investigators and the Government. Assist the PI in providing reports/deliverables to funding agency.
- Review budgets prepared for field work by field team. viii) Ensure that activities of the project are well coordinated to meet the project timelines.
- ix) Any other activities as assigned from time to time by the principal investigator (s)
- Data collection:
- Coordinate/supervise field data collection, ensure appropriate consent process.
- Undertake periodic field visits to project sites to review project implementation, identify challenges and support the team in charting appropriate solutions.
- Others: Any other project or institution related activities as assigned from time to time by the principal investigator(s), make presentations at meetings and/or conferences, co-ordinate academic programmes.
Note: The above-mentioned activities may require travel and stay in the study sites/other locations. Liaison Requirement :
- Liaison with Government at State and District levels as may be required in consultation with PI to ensure smooth implementation of the study
- Liaison with health workers, village/community leaders to ensure quality and timely completion of work.
- i) Supervise/coordinate local arrangements regarding travel and accommodation of the team during data collection or for other field activities as and when required ii) Supervise field plans and budget for data collection
- Maintain detailed log of work and provide weekly reports.
- Supervise data collection and upload the data whenever required
Provide regular updates to immediate supervisor and write reports and manuscripts for publication
PhD or Post graduate in Public Health / Medical Anthropology/ Social Work/ Sociology or other equivalent qualifications in a health-related discipline with relevant experience.
Fluency in English is essential
Desirable Khasi/Jaintia or another local language will be an asset
Good writing and communication skills are essential.
Proficiency in relevant computer applications such as Excel, Word and Power-point are essential Proficiency with qualitative software (N-vivo or equivalent) is desirable
Desirable: Two years of relevant work experience will be an advantage
Closing date of applications: Eligible candidate interested in this position are requested to apply by or before 12 March 2021.
Note: Salary will be disbursed as per receipt of funds from NCDIR/ICMR
Interested candidates can submit their CVs with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide the following details, in a word document, preferably in the following order:
- Full Name
- Address and contract details (including email and phone)
- Educational qualifications – Diploma/degree/s, year and institute qualified from
- Language skills (spoken, written skills)
- Software skills
- Work experience (position/job title, organization, duration) if none please state NIL VII. Research experience
- Publications if any
- Referees (two persons who you have worked or trained under)
- Any other relevant information
Only short -listed candidates will be contacted. Selection and short-listing of the candidates will solely be done at the discretion of IIPH Shillong; we reserve the right for selection criteria and procedures. Candidate(s) will be free to accept/reject such employment offers as per his/her discretion.