Job Title: Research Fellow/Associate/ social scientist
Organization: Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong & NLHMB
Specific location: Shillong
Closing date of applications: 31-July-2020
Email for receiving applications: email@example.com
The Centre for the Study of Complex Malaria in India (CSCMI)
The epidemiology of malaria in Meghalaya
The CSCMI is doing epidemiological, genomics, entomological and behavioral sciences studies in Meghalaya to understand prevalence including asymptomatic carrier status. The goal is to generate evidence that will assist in the design of effective measures to reduce and ultimately eliminate malaria in Meghalaya. The study is part of the Center for the Study of Complex Malaria in India (CSCMI) funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH). The research is led by New York University in collaboration with the National Lutheran Health & Medical Board (NLHMB), the Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong (a regional public health institution), National Institute of Research in Tribal Health (NIRTH) and other partners.
Position: Research Fellow/Associate
- Overall inputs on project:
- Assist the lead investigator(s) in coordinating Qualitative data collection
- Provide ongoing support for capacity building of the project personnel in terms of study objectives, ethical aspects, study tool development, data collection, analysis, integration, reporting and formulating micro-plans.
- Provide inputs to understand the local context relevant to the project. Co-ordinate with local government personnel, health workers and village leaders
- Undertake/support qualitative data analysis and prepare timely reports and publications.
- Maintain research log of work and provide weekly/biweekly reports as required
- Provide periodic updates of progress to the lead investigators and the Government. Assist the PI in providing reports/deliverables to funding agency.
- Review budgets prepared for field work by field team.
- Ensure that activities of the project are well coordinated to meet the project timelines.
- Any other activities as assigned from time to time by the principal investigator(s).
- Data collection:
- i) Coordinate/supervise field data collection, ensure appropriate consent process.
- ii) Undertake periodic field visits to project sites to review project implementation, identify challenges and support the team in charting appropriate solutions.
- Others: Any other project or institution related activities as assigned from time to time by the principal investigator(s), make presentations at meetings and/or conferences, co-ordinate academic programmes.
Note: The above-mentioned activities may require travel and stay in study sites and or collaborating institutions.
- Liaison with Government at State and District levels as may be required in consultation with PI to ensure smooth implementation of the study
- Liaison with health workers, village/community leaders to ensure quality and timely completion of work.
- i) Supervise/coordinate local arrangements regarding travel and accommodation of the team during data collection or for other field activities as and when required
- ii) Supervise field plans and budget for data collection
- Maintain detailed log of work and provide weekly reports.
- Supervise data collection and upload the data whenever required
Provide regular updates to immediate supervisor and write reports and manuscripts for publication
PhD or Post graduate in Public Health / Medical Anthropology or other equivalent qualifications in a health related discipline with relevant experience.
Fluency in English is essential
Fluency in Khasi/Jaintia or another local language will be an asset
Good writing and communication skills are essential.
Proficiency in relevant computer applications such as Excel, word, power point are essential
Proficiency with qualitative software (N-vivo or equivalent) is desirable
Desirable: Two years of relevant work experience will be an advantage
Interested candidates can submit their CVs with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications received for this job position/s may be considered for other suitable available positions at CSCMI/IIPH. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Selection and short-listing of the candidates will solely be done at the discretion of CSCMI/IIPH; we reserve the right for selection criteria and procedures. Candidate(s) will be free to accept/reject such employment offer as per his/her discretion.
Your CV should provide the following details, in a word document, preferably in the following order:
- Full Name
- Address and contract details (including email and phone)
- Educational qualifications – Diploma/degree/s, year and institute qualified from
- Language skills (spoken, written skills)
- Software skills
- Work experience (position/job title, organization, duration) if none please state NIL
- Research experience
- Publications if any
- Referees (two persons who you have worked or trained under)
- Any other relevant information