Job Title: Qualitative Research Assistant
Organization: Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong & NLHMB
Specific location: Shillong, Meghalaya
Email for receiving applications: firstname.lastname@example.org
The epidemiology of malaria in Meghalaya
The Centre for the Study of Complex Malaria in India (CSCMI)
Meghalaya has a significant burden of malaria, but there is a paucity of research and surveillance data. The CSCMI is doing epidemiological, genomics, entomological and behavioral sciences studies in Meghalaya to understand prevalence including asymptomatic carrier status. The goal is to generate evidence that will assist in the design of effective measures to reduce and ultimately eliminate malaria in Meghalaya. The study is part of the Center for the Study of Complex Malaria in India (CSCMI) funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH). The research is led by New York University in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong (a regional public health institution), National Lutheran Health & Medical Board (NLHMB), National Institute of Research in Tribal Health (NIRTH) and other partners.
Position: Research Assistant
(1) Overall inputs on project
(i) Provide inputs to understand the local context relevant to the project
(ii) Co-ordinate with local stakeholders, health workers and village leaders
(iii) Maintain detailed log of field work and provide weekly reports.
(iv) Assist the team in providing deliverables
(2) Data collection:
(i) Conducting interviews with the key informants, and other participants
(ii) Conducting FGD in the community including required preparatory work
(iii) Transcribing and translating data from local language to English.
(iv) Responsible for the quality and reliability of the data collected.
- V) Assist in data analysis
(3) Other conditions:
(i) The above-mentioned activities would require travel and stay in the study sites
(ii) Any other project or institution related activities as may be assigned from time to time by the principal investigator or immediate supervisor.
- Liaison at the local level to ensure smooth implementation of the program
(2) Liaison with health workers, village/community leaders to ensure quality and timely completion of work.
- i) Coordinate regarding travel and accommodation of the team during data collection or for other field activities as and when required
- ii) Prepare field plans and budget for data collection
- Maintain detailed log of field work and provide weekly reports.
- Conduct data collection and upload the data whenever required
Provide regular updates to immediate supervisor and assist in report writing if required
Graduate/Post-graduate degree/ Post-graduate diploma in Public Health/ Social Sciences/Anthropology/ Nursing/ Allied Health or other health related disciplines.
Fluency in Khasi/Jaintia and English is essential.
Knowledge of Garo language is an asset
Good writing and communication skills are required.
Proficiency in relevant computer applications particularly Excel, word, power point is desirable.
Knowledge of a qualitative software like NVivo will be an asset.
One to two years of relevant work experience especially in field data collection is desirable
Interested candidates can submit their CVs with a cover letter to email@example.com
Applications received for this job position/s may be considered for other suitable available positions at CSCMI/IIPHS. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Selection and short-listing of the candidates will solely be done at the discretion of CSCMI/IIPHS; we reserve the right for selection criteria and procedures. Candidate(s) will be free to accept/reject such employment offer as per his/her discretion.
Your CV should provide the following details, in a word document, preferably in the following order:
- Full Name
- Address and contract details (including email and phone)
- Educational qualifications – Diploma/degree/s, year and institute qualified from
- Language skills (spoken, written skills)
- Software skills
- Work experience (position/job title, organization, duration) if none please state NIL
- Research experience
- Publications if any
- Referees (two persons who you have worked or trained under)
- Any other relevant information
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Selection and short-listing of the candidates will solely be done at the discretion of CSCMI/IIPH; we reserve the right for selection criteria and procedures.