Job Title: Entomology Field Research Assistant
Organization: Indian Institute of Public Health Shillong
Specific location: Shillong
Closing date of applications: 21-July-2020
Email for receiving applications: email@example.com
Understanding malaria transmission in Meghalaya
The Center for the Study of Complex Malaria in India 2.0
This project will carry out entomological and molecular studies in Meghalaya to characterize malaria vectors at two study sites. The goal is to identify which vector species are present (using molecular and morphological methods), whether they are resistant to insecticides and to characterize the spatial and temporal nature of biting behavior. The gathered data will assist in understanding malaria transmission in the presence of a bed-net campaign and help to inform future strategies to improve malaria control in Meghalaya. The study is part of the Center for the Study of Complex Malaria in India (CSCMI), a U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH)-funded project operated by primary research institute New York University in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Public Health, Shillong, University of Manchester, UK and the National Lutheran Health & Medical Board, India.
Position: Entomology Field Research Assistant
- Carry out collection and identification of mosquitoes from field sites in Meghalaya on a regular basis (ii) Co-ordinate with the project epidemiology team, health workers and village leaders (iii) responsible for field safety and quality standards at field-sites, laboratory and for all related equipment (iv) responsible for proper labelling, storage and maintenance of the mosquito samples collected (v) Prepare field plans and budget for data collection. (vi)Assist the team in preparing deliverables for funding agency and primary research institute as and when required.
The position would require travel and medium-term stay in the study sites.
(i)Liaison with vendors and dealers for maintenance of field equipment and purchase if required (ii) Liaison with entomology personnel working in state and district level offices.
- Maintain detailed log of field and/ lab work and provide weekly reports.
- Maintain and update SOPs for field (and some lab) procedures
Provide regular updates to immediate supervisor and assist in report writing.
BSc/MSc. in Zoology/Entomology/Vector Biology.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of local language (Khasi/Jaintia/Garo) is an asset
Good writing and communication skills are required. Proficiency in relevant computer applications particularly Excel, word, power point. Knowledge of statistical software is desirable.
A minimum of one to two years of work experience involving mosquito collection and identification will be an advantage
Your CV should provide the following details, in a word document, preferably in the following order:
- Full Name
- Address and contract details (including email and phone)
- Educational qualifications – Diploma/degree/s, year and institute qualified from
- Language skills (spoken, written skills)
- Software skills
- Work experience (position/job title, organization, duration) if none please state NIL
- Research experience
- Publications (if any)
- Referees (two persons who you have worked or trained under)
- Any other relevant information
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Selection and short-listing of the candidates will solely be done at the discretion of CSCMI/IIPH; we reserve the right for selection criteria and procedures.